Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Finding motivation when it seems to be lost

As a fitness coach, one of the things I hear the most is, "I'm just not motivated". This is understandable since we humans like to be interested in what we are doing and to feel driven in the  direction our lives are going.  Questions I get are "where do you go to get motivated?" "What happens when there is too much bad stuff on my mind to focus on anything else?" "Are some people just naturally motivated while others are not?" "How do I become more motiated?"Well, here's some things I've learned along my 4 year journey with fitness, feel free to use these in any aspect of your life!



What a GPS system is to a car is what Motivation is to you. We can get a little lost or completely off track without it. Sometimes it feels uneasy driving without it, you question yourself and where you may be leading yourself to. Funny, if I would have been trying to explain this a decade or so ago I would have said a map or road atlas. Anyway, we need to feel certainty in what we are doing so that we are more comfortable with doing it. When we see other people doing one thing and getting a certain result, its much like the validation of looking down at your navigation screen and seeing which turn to make next. 


So step 1 to finding your motivation, is to find people who are successful at what you want to be successful in and also find people who are interested and passionate in what you want to succeed in. When you have this support group around you, the uncertainty starts to fade away and you can focus on other things. When you don't have to worry about where you are going, don't you enjoy the drive more? The more we can enjoy what we are doing the more successful we are going to be at it. 



Now that we have driven to a little township of successful and passionate locals, the next part is to blend in. Listen to what these people are saying, absorb it like a sponge, study their ways. Soon, their ways will feel like they are your ways. You will want to make the same kinds of choices as they do, you will want to get the same type of results. You will find yourself talking about it, dreaming about it, and living it! 


A rainy day in Motivation Springs? OH NO! What do I do on the dark and dreary days? To leave the metaphor of this road trip for a moment and make myself perfectly clear here: I DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING ANYTHING! This goes through everyone's mind no matter the skill level. Pros as well as amatuers all struggle with that inner voice telling us the various reasons we just cannot go on today. Deep down, most of them are excuses, but valid points do come across the desk from time to time. 
That negative and nasty person inside of you may be telling you that what you are doing is not working. You tell that voice that it is working for everyone else in town, but they didn't become successful overnight!
You hear it tell you that it's just a bad time since you are stressing about something else going on in your life. Remind yourself, there are 24 hours in a day and just 30 minutes is almost 1/50th of a day. Seems like just a tiny bit of time to spare for yourself when you look at it that way.
Basically, whatever the negative voice tells you, you need to have a witty comeback for. Always, and I repeat ALWAYS be stronger than that voice telling you no! 


The most simple advice to give, but sometimes the hardest advice to take is this:
Just Do It!

There's a reason why Nike has coined that phrase. It get's results! It's not easy, but nothing ever worth having is easy. Athletes are governed by the same set of rules as the rest of us human beings, but look at how successful and amazing they are! They, JUST DO IT! 
On those days where it is raining in your little motivational town, weather the storm! You may want to stay inside, you don't want to expose yourself to those cold and dark elements, but you know that you need to and you JUST DO IT!

I had this day yesterday! I was not motivated. I guess that answers the question "are people naturally motivated" ummmmm NO! We all need a kick in the butt, we all need a support group, and sometimes we just need to suck it up and stop being a pansy! 
Back to what I was saying, I woke up, it was pitch black outside, my kids were slow to get ready for school, I was tired, I was achy from the previous days workout, and I was not looking forward to the cardio that was scheduled for the day as opposed to my regular weight training. My usual workout time arrives and my motivation doesn't show up. I start to wander around the house a little bit, seeming lost and not knowing what to do with myself. I knew what I should have been doing, its time to workout! The GPS in my head is telling me to make a U Turn, I'm going the wrong way. The motivation and I never did wind up finding eachother during my workout window, so I had to go with the "JUST DO IT" mentality. 
I put my cardio disc in the dvd player, pushed play, and got through the warmup grumbling and mumbling about how I don't want to be doing this. about 5 minutes into the workout I was getting a good sweat on, had a little burst of energy that hadn't been there all day, and by the end of the workout I felt FANTASTIC!!! I had tons of energy, the endorphins flood gate had burst open and I was in a better mood, I was incredibly proud of myself for doing something that I needed to do yet was not driven to do. Pride in oneself is a huge treat, the endorphins and energy were just the icing on the cake! 


So....Hopefully what you have taken away from this is that you need a support group of people who are doing the same thing as you. You need to engage with these people and/or study them to see what actions yield the results that you want. You need to beef up security in your brain so that a big muscular bouncer can throw the negative voices  out when they start to disrupt the party. Lastly, when all else fails to motivate you, Just push play, Just do it, Just get it done! You will feel amazing once you have and every single time you do this, it helps to beef up those bouncers in your head! 
In need of people to surround yourself with? Join my team of coaches and clients
www.beachbodycoach.com/suzycutie86 click on the join button its free!
Also find me on facebook ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment